About the Organization
Are you passionate about helping innovative organizations make a great impact on our nation’s schools, students and families? Does an organization with a diverse and high-profile client base that will provide great opportunities for professional growth and good compensation sound appealing? Then read on:
Larson Communications (LC) is a growing public relations firm that has developed a reputation as the nation’s premiere public education reform communications organization.
LC has a values-driven culture. We believe in cultivating a work environment for all that fosters a dedicated, passionate and high-performing team. Our shared values of service, commitment to excellence, integrity, team and passion define and fuel our work.
Our small, seasoned team has over 12 collective decades of experience in raising the visibility of great organizations, including some of the most innovative charter school and education reform organizations in the country. With team members in the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, Denver, Chicago and New York, we serve clients across the country as they do positive work for tens of thousands of children and families.
We celebrate this cause, our spirit of collaboration, and are looking to bring aboard a self-motivated, highly skilled Chief of Staff to join our team.
About the Role
Now in its 15th year and with a growing portfolio of clients, LC has created the Chief of Staff role to spearhead organizational health-related operations, organizational efficiency, system and process design and implementation, business strategy and growth, and business development. Reporting directly to the President/CEO and with matrix responsibilities to senior staff, this position will act as the central hub for optimizing our client service and team performance, designing and leading process improvement cycles. The Chief of Staff will play a key role in driving the communications and organizational talents of our strong and growing team, with the ultimate goal of ensuring exceptional client value.
As Chief of Staff, your job duties will include:
Leadership, Team Performance and Growth
- Embody LC culture and commitment to excellent client service, all in the service of helping our clients make a positive impact on our nation’s schools, students and families
- Act as a thought partner and support to LC’s President/CEO, advise on business development, organizational growth and LC’s position with and contribution to K-12 education reform
- Collaborate with LC President/CEO to inform organizational and operational strategy, designing and overseeing systems to optimize team performance and achieve growth targets
- Ensure staffing strategy and client engagement is aligned with company mission and goals, and with achieving key performance metrics
- Lead change management connected to implementing people, process and systems improvements
- Manage key functions, including finance, operations, strategic planning, client contracting and pricing, human resources and benefits
- Help ensure team satisfaction and support a positive working environment
- Coordinate teaming logistics to meet project needs and support team member well-being
- Manage professional development opportunities and performance review process
- Oversee talent mining and lead new-hire interview process
- Oversee new hire orientation and onboarding
- Spearhead team retreats and staff meetings
- Research and implement solutions and platforms for better project management and team collaboration
Client Services and Project Support
- Review client and team staffing allocation to ensure optimized team utilization to provide excellent client service
- Refine and oversee LC’s client contracting, agreement renewals and pricing strategy
- Codify LC’s approach into a “playbook;” refine and update as necessary
- Conduct client satisfaction surveys and analysis
- Spearhead client recognition opportunities
Marketing and Branding
- Oversee branding, website management, identity and team collateral
- Coordinate dissemination of newsletters and organizational updates as well as company promotion including case studies, webinars and social and digital presence
- Manage LC’s participation at external education and communications conferences
- Lead LC Operating Plan and daily operations
- Monitor utilization and help balance team workload
- Produce quarterly metrics reports, generate actionable insights and propose process and systems improvements to ensure exceptional client value
- Set and oversee senior team meetings, client team meetings and all-staff meetings
- Oversee a thriving remote/hybrid working environment, which may include managing space agreements, services and equipment
Strong candidates will have experience working in a professional services environment, managing teams and developing and implementing complex projects. Background in K-12 and higher education, public relations, law firm or other project-based consulting industries is a plus.
Candidates may have managed one or more offices, as well as client service, team performance and project operations in a prior role, and may have previously served in a consulting role. Candidates can understand the big strategic picture of the firm and then translate that into operational execution. The ideal candidate must be energized by a breadth of technical, analytical and interpersonal responsibilities, and thrive independently under their own initiative.
- A. or B.S. degree with minimum of eight to 10 years of relevant work experience
- Track record of setting and implementing strategy to achieve business and organizational goals, including achieving growth targets
- Understanding of professional service firm environment, including team utilization and billables
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Experience with time tracking, document tracking and other consulting office software suites
- Excellent analysis and organizational skills
- Proven project management skills, with the ability to support and lead a diverse staff and client roster
- Strong understanding of process inputs, evaluation and improvement
- Experience building cross-team and remote office relationships
- Ability to coordinate diverse staff to effect change
- Deep and proven commitment to LC’s shared values of service, commitment to excellence, integrity, team and passion
- Competitive compensation
- Annual performance bonuses, linked to individual and group performance goals
- LC contracts with TriNet to provide team access to comprehensive benefits and provides contributions to offset healthcare (medical, dental, vision, mental health) costs and life insurance coverage
- 401K plan with generous matching contributions
- Professional learning and development opportunities
- Unlimited vacation and sick time
- Minimum 10 paid company holidays
- Supportive and passionate team
- Flexible work environment, 100% remote. With team members concentrated across five regions; candidates can be based anywhere in the country. LC anticipates that this position may travel roughly 10-20% of the time for in-person team meetings and retreats, conferences and presentations and client engagements
Send resumes and a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line ‘Chief of Staff application for Larson Communications.’ To be considered, please include the word ‘pineapple’ in your cover letter. Please no phone calls.