Director of Operations
About the Organization
Are you passionate about helping innovative organizations make a great impact on our nation’s schools? Does an organization with a diverse and high-profile client base that will provide great opportunities for professional growth and good compensation sound appealing? Then read on:
Larson Communications (LC) is a growing public relations firm that has developed a reputation as the nation’s premier public education reform communications organization. With offices in San Francisco, Los Angeles, Sacramento, Chicago and Denver, we serve clients across the country as they do positive work with thousands of children and families.
Larson Communications has a values-driven culture. We believe in creating a work environment for all that fosters a dedicated, passionate and high-performing team. Our shared values of service, commitment to excellence, integrity, humility and passion fuel our work.
Our seasoned, nimble team has over eight decades of experience in raising the visibility of great organizations, including some of the most innovative charter school and education reform organizations in the country. We celebrate this cause, our spirit of collaboration, and are looking to bring aboard a self-motivated, highly skilled Director of Operations to join our team.
About the Role
Now in its 13th year and with a solid pipeline of potential clients in the growing field of public education reform, LC has created this position to put processes in place to help the organization scale in each of its regions and explore potentially expanding into a new region. The Director of Operations will lead this growth. The Director of Operations will act as the central hub for the organization’s client service, team performance and optimization and organizational health-related operations. Reporting directly to the President/CEO and with matrix responsibilities to senior staff, this role will also be responsible for helping coordinate organizational efficiency, continual process improvement and overseeing multiple office operations.
Strong candidates should at a minimum have prior experience in a professional services environment. Background in the education space, public relations, law firm or other project-based consulting industries will be considered.
Candidates may have managed one or more offices, as well as client service, team performance and project operations in a prior role, and may have previously served in a consulting role. Candidates can both see and articulate the big strategic picture of the firm and then translate that into operational execution. The ideal candidate must be mentally engaged by a breadth of technical, analytical and interpersonal responsibilities, and thrive independently under their own initiative, while also able to influence and coordinate diverse staff in remote offices.
As Director of Operations, your job duties will include:
General Operations and Growth
- Create and execute the expansion plan for the organization
- Oversee LC Operating Plan and daily operations
- Monitor utilization and help balance team workload
- Produce quarterly metrics reports
- Oversee office space logistics and agreements
- Manage equipment and services (computers, software, subscriptions, etc.)
Client Services and Project Support
- Manage client and team allocation to ensure adequate team utilization to provide excellent service
- Conduct client satisfaction surveys and analysis
- Spearhead client recognition opportunities
- Aid in conference logistics, presentation opportunities and preparation
- Write business development proposals and RFP responses
- With the appropriate background, support client work on an as-needed basis or as desired by the candidate as a professional development opportunity
Team Performance and Growth
- Help ensure team satisfaction and support a positive working environment
- Coordinate project logistics and annual review process
- Oversee talent mining and lead the interview process
- Oversee new hire orientation, onboarding and pacing partners
- Spearhead team retreats and staff meetings
- Manage professional development opportunities
- Research and implement solutions for better project management and team collaboration
- Manage human resources
Marketing and Branding
- Oversee branding, identity and team collateral
- Plan LC marketing and promotion
- Prepare bi-annual LC Newsletter
Qualifications and Skills Required:
- or B.S. degree with minimum of five to eight years of relevant work experience
- Understanding of professional service firm environment, including team utilization and billables
- Superior verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent analysis and organization skills
- Strong understanding of process inputs, evaluation and improvement
- Experience expanding a company
- Experience building cross-team and remote office relationships
- Ability to coordinate diverse staff to effect change
- Experience with time tracking, document tracking and other consulting office software suites
- Team culture focused on growth and mentorship
- Professional development opportunities
- Flexible work environment
- Competitive compensation
- Individual health care contributions
- 401K matching
- Unlimited vacation
Location: Larson Communications offers a mostly remote work environment. Preference will be given to candidates based in the San Francisco Bay Area.
Send resumes with heading ‘Director of Operations application for Larson Communications’ along with a cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. To be considered, please incorporate the word ‘pineapple’ into your cover letter. Please no phone calls.